[c-nsp] Disable ARP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 25 17:36:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:19:48PM +0200, Francois Corthésy wrote:
> Not to mention the waste of IPv4 space. Assigning a /30 per customer
> would have the guys at RIPE give you some pretty mean looks the next
> time you go to one of their meetings.

No.

(Being one of the chairs of the RIPE address policy working group, I
am quite sure of that :) ).

> I remember the last one I was at, they even implied the assigning fix IP
> addresses to end users (think ADSL/Cable) was no recommended and either
> translation or DHCP should be used.

RIPE requires you to *consider* using dynamic addresses and/or NAT, but
this is in no way required.

This is a fairly common misunderstanding of the current policy.

*Using* IP addresses is perfectly in order.

Reserving them, hoarding them, or burning them for things like HTTP
virtual services (without SSL etc.) that could run on a single IP
address is what needs to be prevented.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de