[c-nsp] SmartNET on Used Router?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Aug 26 05:40:44 EDT 2006

Hi Adam,

  Any Cisco reseller should be able to do this for you.  There's nothing
special
about it.  You do not need to go through a "special" reseller for it.

  A more serious question though is if you purchased the "Cisco Relicensing
for
Used Equipment"   If you bought the 7507 router used, and you do not have
this license, and it is not a hardware replacement for a 7507 that died
which
you did have a license on, then you are not legal to run any IOS on the
router,
even the IOS that was on there when you bought it, as well as any IOS that
you can obtain by smartnet.

  Cisco has set the price of the Relicensing very high, in order to
discourage
people from buying used Cisco routers, for obvious reasons.  My take on
it though is that it encourages widespread cheating and I am sure Cisco
knows this.  However, it's cheating that is mainly confined to smaller ISPs
who aren't hardly worth anything and have nothing to lose for an enforcement
action.  The larger national ISP's are worried
enough about being turned in for license violations to the SPA that they
are not as interesting in saving $20-$30K on a router purchase as to deal
with buying routers used.  I am sure Cisco sales knows this also.

  If you google you can find stories from a few years ago of some of the
Fortune 1000 coming under severe pressure from Cisco direct sales when
bringing the idea of used Cisco routers up as a bargaining chip during
large project price negotiations.  You stopped hearing those stories
soon after Cisco introduced the Relicensing for Used Equipment licensing.

  Keep in mind also that this entire issue is severely political.  It is
also
legally questionable on all sides.  When you buy a router IOS comes
on the router.  What Cisco used to do a lot was the equivalent of
selling a PC with a full installation of MS Windows on it, then telling
the buyer they had to go to Microsoft and buy a license for Windows.
Cisco has since changed their packaging and made many SKU's
unavailable through distribution so that nowadays, Cisco resellers
sell bundles, that are the Cisco router plus IOS license it is almost
impossible to buy just a bare router, sans license, anymore.  That closed
the cheaters loophole of buying the bare router and not the IOS license
for new routers, but Cisco still hasn't yet figured out how to grapple
with the issue of used routers.

Ted