[c-nsp] PIM-SM and 'more specific' RPs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Aug 26 14:03:34 EDT 2006

Jee Kay wrote:
> I'm trying to use the 'ip pim rp-address' command to give me a default
> RP, and a 'more specific' RP for a set of multicast groups. Basically
> I'd like our internal RPs to handle all multicast traffic by default,
> but I have a requirement to use externally set RPs for some other
> groups.
>
> ip pim rp-address 12.1.2.3 ext-b-rp
> ip pim rp-address 217.1.2.3
>
> ip access-list standard cme-b-rp
>  permit 233.1.2.64 0.0.0.63

Just a guess, but from what I recall the cisco docs imply that for >1 RP
you need something like:

ip access-list standard external-groups
   permit 233.1.2.64 0.0.0.63
ip access-list standard other-groups
   deny 233.1.2.64 0.0.0.63
   permit 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255

ip pim rp-address external external-groups
ip pim rp-address internal internal-groups

It goes without saying an appropriate MSDP peering and suitable
ipv4-multicast routes (static or MBGP) is far, far better, but I'm
guessing that's exactly what you can't do.