[c-nsp] VOIP QoS problem

Eric Kagan ekagan at axsne.com
Sun Aug 27 21:05:51 EDT 2006

> > We have several customers that utilize service with a 3rd
> party VOIP
> > provider.  We have applied a very simple QoS policy (below)
> to several
> > customers interfaces on our Cisco 7206VXR's as well as the CPE.  One
>
> What kind of CPE?

Adtran T1 router - not sure of the model.

> Assuming "low end cisco gear", are they
> doing "ip cef"?
> Are their ethernets 100FD, going into 100BaseT switches?

Not positive, but the VOIP provider is doing the CPE / LAN config and they
have a few hundred installs and they are pretty good.

> If by 3rd party VOIP, you mean some VOIP provider out on the internet,
how's the
> connectivity between you and them?

Very good - we use the same upstream provider at the same POP.

> As implied in another reply, show
> policy-map interface on the interfaces with service-policy
> applied will
> show you packet counters for prefered traffic and
> default-class traffic,
> which will tell you if your QoS policy is "working" at all.

It appears to be:

>show policy-map  interface
 Serial5/0/18:1

  Service-policy output: voice

    Class-map: VOIP (match-any)
      3907806 packets, 969064093 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 1000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: protocol rtp
        3381838 packets, 694583248 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      Match: protocol sip
        525968 packets, 274480845 bytes
        5 minute rate 1000 bps
      Queueing
        Strict Priority
        Output Queue: Conversation 264
        Bandwidth 65 (%)
        (pkts matched/bytes matched) 362280/86354819
        (total drops/bytes drops) 325/253673
      QoS Set
        ip precedence 5
          Packets marked 3907806

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      9543140 packets, 3882911969 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 21000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any

Eric