[c-nsp] SmartNET on Used Router?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Aug 28 07:02:40 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Roesen" <dr at cluenet.de>
To: <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] SmartNET on Used Router?

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 07:56:09AM -0500, Brett Frankenberger wrote:
> > That might or mught not be true.  Cisco policy is that IOS licenses
> > cannot be transferred and that you have to pay relicensing if you buy
> > used hardware.  This has never, to me knowledge, been challanged in
> > court, and it's not at all clear that Cisco's view would prevail.
>
> This view is already ruled unlawful in Germany. Thanks to some common
> sense of courts here.
>
> Software for specific hardware is always transferrable with the
> hardware, no matter what the vendor claims or tries to make folks
> believe - in Germany.
>
> The vendor's tricks are then to refuse support contracts for such used
> gear, without going thru some special "inspection" (for a prohibitive
> fee). If you can get away without support contract - no problem.

I forgot about the "inspection" that is true even in the US.  What they do,
though, when you purchase SmartNet on used gear is that they refuse
-hardware- support.  In other words, you  can buy SmartNet, you can
lawfully upgrade IOS on it all you want, you can get software support
under SmartNet all you want - but you cannot get the hardware return
support.  The only exception is that -if- SmartNet has been carried
-continuously- on the used gear since it was new, then they didn't
require inspection of it when you bought it used - that is, if you
continued to carry SmartNet on it.

Ted