[c-nsp] 1841 suitable for BGP?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Mon Aug 28 22:31:06 EDT 2006

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at a router to handle 2 x 10Mb/s (ethernet) feeds and
> take a
> full BGP routing table from both ISPs. Will an 1841 with 384Mb suffice
> for this, or do I need to look at higher spec models?

Technically yes, it will handle it BUT (thats a big but) the 1841 is
not a distributed router so the main CPU has to do everything.  The
BGP updates once per minute will crush the router and cause all
packets to stop.  If you do lose one of your 2 feeds the BGP re-
convergence when the feed goes away and comes back will crush your
router for at least a minute (probably 5 minutes for 190k routes),
all packets will stop.   In a perfect world with a nice stable BGP
table the router would be fine.  This  is NOT a perfect world.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President