[c-nsp] IP NAT help

Ivan c ivannetw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 23:57:51 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have an issue with NAT as was looking for some guidance. Thanks up front!

I have an external router that does both source and destination NAT of the
addresses.

                                                             fa0/0
fa0/1
Customer RTR<---------------------------------------->My
RTR<------------------------------------->internal host (172.30.13.xx)
Source 203.13.xx.xx                                         NAT      source
172.30.10.xx
Dest 203.6.xx.xx
dest     172.30.13.xx

Traffic imitated from 203.13.xx.xx to 203.6.xx.xx gets NATed at my router to
an internal source address of 172.30.10.xx and a destination of 172.30.13.xx
.

So I tried the following

interface Fa0/0
ip nat outside

interface Fa0/1
ip nat inside

ip nat inside soruce static 172.30.13.xx 203.6.xx.xx
ip nat outside source static 203.13.xx.xx 172.30.10.xx

I do a tcpdump on the inside interface (mirror port on switch) and I see the
traffic destined for the internal host using the NAT addresses, but when the
internal hosts tries to syn back to my router, the router sends back a icmp
destination host unreachable?

Thanks
Ivan