[c-nsp] 1841 suitable for BGP?

Jeremiah Millay jeremiah at rockriver.net
Tue Aug 29 00:55:22 EDT 2006

Pete,
We currently have a customer who has full BGP routes from us as well as another provider using an 1841. We provide the customer with a 3Mbps wireless feed and the other provider feeds them with a pair of T1s bonded with CEF. At first we only had 256 MB of RAM in the router which left it with about 6MB free after receiving all routes from both providers. I was working on balancing the paths with prepending and when all the recalulation was taking place it ran out of RAM and pretty much took a dump. We maxed the router with 384 and have had no problems since even with updates like prepending paths on the fly. I would recommend you max the routers RAM capacity. As far as CPU Utilization it stays at an average of 5% utilization. These little routers are beasts!
So to answer your question, from my experience yes the 1841 can handle full BGP routes provided you supply it with enough RAM.
Jeremiah