[c-nsp] 1841 suitable for BGP?

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Tue Aug 29 09:32:42 EDT 2006

Not to butt in but I could show you real world utilization (ave and peak)
for a good handful of software based Cisco platforms.

I'm sure the gear I'm familiar with isn't crashing, but I can show you 50%
peak CPU on NPE 400s because of BGP scanner running every 60 seconds (since
that's it's run interval).  Also, I can show you how 1 eBGP peer reset will
send that NPE400 to 100% CPU.

Since NPEs are software based and the CPU is at 100%, what would you say are
happening to the packets that should be going thru the box?  I know for sure
based on my monitoring that not all the packets are being forwarded at that
time.  Are all being dropped?  No.  But it's very difficult to correlate
exact microsecond CPU utilization and actual packet drop.

tv