[c-nsp] QoS for VoIP basics

Jeremiah Millay jeremiah at rockriver.net
Fri Dec 1 12:27:50 EST 2006

Check out iperf. Free traffic generation tool. You run it between two
endpoints. This is a good way to send X Mbps of traffic through a link
to test your QoS policies.

http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/default.htm

> Thanks to those who replied to my questions.
>
> Setting the link to full duplex corrected the issue.
>
> However, now voice quality is great no matter whether I enable or disable
> qos on the switches.
>
> That's more a limitation of my test environment, though, than the qos
> itself, I think.
>
> What I *really* need is
> -    a good TCP / UDP traffic generator (right now I'm using TCPLoad which
> is so ancient I don't even know who made it). I'm considering MGEN
> (http://cs.itd.nrl.navy.mil/products/) but that's UDP only.
> -    a better way to test VoIP quality. I'm simply subjectively gauging call
> quality by talking through (2) SIP phones which establish peer-to-peer
> communications after initial call setup via a SIP server. Some free software
> that provides MOS ratings based on latency, jitter, etc and allows
> simulation of multiple calls would be ideal. Perhaps I'm dreaming that there
> could be a free software available for this.
>
> Adam

Rock River Internet                            Jeremiah Millay
202 W. State St, 8th Floor              jeremiah at rockriver.net
Rockford, IL 61101                      815-968-9888 Ext. 2202
USA                                               fax 968-6888