[c-nsp] Storm control?

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Mon Dec 4 09:27:27 EST 2006

On 04.12.2006 11:49 Vincent De Keyzer wrote

> Hello,
>

> I am looking for real life experiences with the storm-control
> feature. Does it really help? Did it save your network some time?
> What levels of broadcast / unicast / multicast would you recommend?

Vincent,

it much depends in which environment you want to deploy these features.
E.g. if you only have "pure" IPv4 (no multicast, no IPv6), you never
should see multicast and only broadcasts coming from ARP requests. Hence
you should be able to calculate a safe upper limit from the number of
devices attached.

This feature might also come in handy when you connect devices with
different speeds. Might be easy for a 10GE device to overrun a FE device
with bc/mc/uc ...

Ask IXP for real life experiences. I guess no one of them want to miss
this feature ;-)

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper, AN45