[c-nsp] 6500 Sup720 high CPU load - RP LES Fragmentation unsupported

Sukumar Subburayan sukumars at cisco.com
Mon Dec 4 13:27:04 EST 2006

The new CEF Fast Forwarding feature supports fragementation of IP
packets in CEF-path.

The 'RP  LES Fragmentation unsupported' is the number
of packets punted by CEF to the process level as it was not able to
fragment the packets for whatever reason. I see there are some internally
found/fixed bugs which are not in 12.2(33)SRA release, and will be
available in an upcoming release.

Once thing is not clear is, how the router is receiving > 1500 byte
packets when you say that on the other end there is only one IP interface,
which has mtu at 1500 bytes.

I would suggest opening a TAC case and investigating this further.

Something things to consider when working with TAC is :

What type of linecard is on the other side on Vlan71?

It is possible that some jumbo  frame internal ASIC  setting on the
ingress port on vlan 71 is not set correctly, and hence it is allowing
larger packet sizes.

sukumar