[c-nsp] core equip

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 6 18:26:25 EST 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Shaun wrote:

> We currently are using 3750's to do bgp with our providers and also all our
> vlans are setup on it.  We had bought 7206VXR's (NPE-300's) but have no
> implemented them yet.  If i remember correctly the npe's max throughput is
> only a couple hundred mbit.  Were upgrading our uplinks with one provider to
> GigE and are brining in another provider (100mbit).  What would be a good
> router to use that could handle a GB worth of traffic (or more) plus full
> routing tables?

Short term: 7600 with Sup32 (max 239k routes) or 7304 NSE-100 (don't know
how many routes). Both should last you 1-2 years.

Longer term you're better off with Sup720-3BXL or better for that 7600.

7206 and 7304 is pretty much dead end as far as speed upgrades are
considered.

Other way might be to get a 12008 and a 3GE line card, but that might be
more trouble than it's worth, and those card are very close to their end
of life.

This has been discussed plenty in the archives as another poster pointed
out.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se