[c-nsp] HWIC-4ESW Question

nealr neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Thu Dec 7 19:54:44 EST 2006

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that although the HWIC-4ESW module is
> configured through the parent router (a 2800 series in my case), that it
> should still be treated as a separate entity? (i.e. traffic between the
> HWIC and built-in ports must be routed, and IP routing is done through
> vlan interfaces, which are also separate from vlans on the built-in
> ports.) I'm more familiar with the NME variants which really are distinct.

  Perhaps this will help make things clear:

! Fa0/0 on Cisco 2811
interface FastEthernet0/0.5
 description inside interface
 encapsulation dot1Q 5
 ip address 192.168.76.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 ip virtual-reassembly

! HWIC-4ESW-POE in access VLAN mode as part of a VLAN also reachable via
! onboard port trunking
interface FastEthernet0/3/0
 switchport access vlan 5

! HWIC-4ESW-POE in trunk mode - equivalent to onboard ports using 802.1Q
trunking
interface FastEthernet0/3/1
 switchport mode trunk

And here we see that the HWIC-4ESW-POE is a little onboard L2 switch
rather than an L3
device:

c2811(config)#int fa0/3/2
c2811(config-if)#no sw
c2811(config-if)#no switchport
Command rejected: Not a convertable port.

   Think of the HWIC as being just like a 2900XL switch connected via an
unseen 'virtual' 802.1Q trunk and that should give you a good idea of
what may be done with it.