[c-nsp] RSP720/PFC3C/20G-CE

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 12 12:33:06 EST 2006

> I am frankly disappointed the RSP720 doesn't have an even
> faster CPU, in the region of 2-2.5 GHz.

Well, since Cisco appears to be moving many of their
products (the NPE-G2, and now the RSP720) to a PPC
base, and since their supplier of preference seems
to be (the renamed/rebadged) Freescale, 1.5GHz seems
to be the top of the line, for now, and I would
guess 1.2GHz was what was really available (and the
price/performance sweet spot) during the design.
As always, it is slightly difficult to compare
PPC GHz to MIPS GHz and determine a performance
result in IOS, and there may be architecture
advantaged improvements (or losses) too due to
the change in processor.

Gary