[c-nsp] Multihoming Question

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Wed Dec 13 13:17:42 EST 2006

Paul,

If you have a peering arrangement with the other ISP, I could conceive that
you could get away with assigning the customer a private ASN which both you
and the other ISP agree upon. But ... I have never done this. Maybe two
different private ASNs in this situation (one from each provider) could also
work, but I expect it would be complicated and I don't see what the
advantage would be.

Getting a unique public ASN from ARIN is not complicated or that expensive
($500 setup and $100/yr), and I would expect would simplify things as well
as put the customer in good stead for the future.

Hope that helps.

Adam