[c-nsp] EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Dec 16 10:24:40 EST 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Gert Doering wrote:

> Still, our single 7507 caused *SO* much trouble (OIR crashes, VIP memory
> issues, packet drops due to wrong packet path, weird software support in
> 12.0S/12.2S, etc.) that we decided to decommission it last year - and
> we didn't miss it.

We too had a variety of weird issues (mostly apparently dCEF bugs) with
12.2S on the 7500, most often resulting in IP connectivity being broken
for certain very specific source/dest pairs or impacting certain MPLS
VPNs.  The usual fix was "conf t, ip cef, long pause, ip cef dist".  We
shut down our last 7500 two months ago.  It had wigged out a couple weeks
before our planned shut down, so we just left dcef off.

We replaced the 7500s in our data center with 6509s for the ethernet
connections and 7200s for the leased lines nearly two years ago.