[c-nsp] WAAS and Oracle

Dan Wilson dan-wilson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 17 14:26:54 EST 2006

I'd check out the Brocade appliance.

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Netfortius
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:38 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] WAAS and Oracle

Due to some strong limitations of our existing infrastructure, I have
decided
to look into some solutions involving "WAN acceleration" (e.g. compression,
caching, etc.). The primary reason for such is CIFS, email and FTP/HTTP
types
of traffic, mostly bandwidth consuming, for which such solutions are
obvious,
but my challenge is in regards to something else, in addition to those apps.

Our Cisco SE has suggested us the WAAS devices, but he could not provide
details on how this would work with a specific app, as I describe it below:

- multi-tier Oracle deployment, consisting in clients running either
browser-based apps (connection over SSL - probably the easiest part, if WAAS

could use certificates when sitting "in-between"), or a Java client (called
jinitiator, for those in the "Oracle know") which runs an Oracle proprietary

encryption method, over a socket-to-socket connection (over the WAN).

My question is directed mostly to those of you who have had experience with
Oracle apps as described above, and who have had success with WAAS. If no
Oracle experience, but WAAS knowledge, could you tell - by the description
above - if WAAS would be a good fit, or if it may negatively impact the
performance, due to the chatty nature of such apps, in association with the
proprietary encryption method used by Oracle, thus lesser chance of
acceleration?!? Does anybody know if the WAAS "understands" Oracle traffic,
if encrypted (has Cisco licensed some Oracle APIs to be able to
decrypt-accelerate(cache/compress)-encrypt-send)?!?

If not Cisco (OT subject, of course, from that point on) - but if someone
has
experience with performance improvements in an environment as described
above, using other methods, could you - please - give me a sign off-list?

TIA,
Stefan