[c-nsp] 6500/7600 split, Was Re: EOS/EOL for the 7500 platform

Joe Provo jzp-cnsp at rsuc.gweep.net
Mon Dec 18 17:50:30 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:30:35PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:00:04AM -0800, Buhrmaster, Gary wrote:
[snip]
> > There is the argument made by some companies that a "war"
> > is the way to progress, forcing each BU to work harder
> > and to innovate/deliver faster.
>
> There is enough external competion to war with, so I really can't see
> the incentive to annoy customers here...

Strongly agreed.  The enemy is outside the gates; infighting is a
waste of resources.  Companies who want to 'innovate' and 'be nible'
should take a page from all the successful small businesses and
startups: everyone is working to the same goal, resources are pooled,
departments or business units are complimentary, and if anyone has
*time* for empire-building then they need more work or to have their
positions eliminated.

Oh and yes, the entire 'stable partner' is key regarding
infrastructure investment. For a service provider, the gear is
the base strata upon which the entire business is built. Whatever
foundation you put on quicksand, you are doomed.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE