[c-nsp] IP SLAs - throughput measurement

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon Dec 18 19:19:32 EST 2006

Hi Adam,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 11:23:41AM -0500, Adam Greene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're trying to find a good way to measure throughput on a gigabit link between two 3560G's.

<snip>

> I could connect gigabit PC's to both switches and run something like iPerf (which does report delay in increments of ?s and smaller), but so far my duo-core 2.8GHz / 1GB RAM PC's have only been able to push 440Mbps max even when directly connected to one another via cat5e.

What network card/OS are you using?

I have an Athlon X2 4200+ w/ Onboard NVidia and a Dual Athlon MP 1600+
w/ PCI Intel Gigabit NIC, which I am able to get 880mbit/s through,
through a switch (dodgy minitar).

Both the above machines are running Linux (2.6)

I also seem to recall getting at least 600-700 out of the windows
version of iperf.

Cheers,
Trent