[c-nsp] L2TP problem with 7301

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Dec 19 17:04:20 EST 2006

"Srdjan Simic" <srdjan at sezampro.yu> writes:

> What is strange is when we slowly direct customers (few at the time) all is
> ok. We tried with ios 12.3(5a)B5 and 12.3(10) IP Plus. What is recommended
> IOS for VPDN termination only, and what are limits for 7301 in terms of
> number of VPDN users?

That's fairly old IOS.  Rodney would probably tell you to go to 12.4
mainline.  I'm running LNSes (term only, no tunnel switching), and
I've got 12.3(14)T6 on them.  Rodney would probably tell *me* to go to
12.4 mainline as well.  12.3(14)T6 is known to have memory leaks in
the bgp router process, so hope you aren't planning on running bgp on
them.  Other than that, very trouble-free.

How many users...  depends on the bandwidth usage.  I've seen 7301s
and VXRs with NPE-G1s (basically sister devices) about out of steam
with 3000 active sessions on them, and I've seen them still doing fine
with more than twice that number.  Maximum number of IDBs is 20050,
and I'm trying to figure out what the consumption is like...  I think
it's one SWIDB and one HWIDB per interface (I pre-clone 4000
virtual interfaces and have 4163 SWIDBs and 4116 HWIDBs in play).

A 7206VXR/NPE-G1 with 1618 users logged in, total of 113 mbit/sec and
26.5 kpps through the box is showing 48% cpu utilization.

                                        ---Rob