[c-nsp] Traceroutes and AS Numbers

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Dec 20 12:51:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Christian Koch wrote:

> When performing traceroutes,the AS number is displayed, where is it
> pulling that info from?

Are you talking about running a traceroute from a router, or from a
machine that has an AS-aware traceroute client?

If it's the former, the AS number comes from the routing table on the
router you're tracing from.  Keep in mind that the AS number you'd see on
a hop across a boundary interface would be for the AS that originates the
parent block that the /30 or /31 on that boundary interface comes from.

Sometimes that can cause some confusion.

If it's the latter, the traceroute client is probably querying a route
registry like the RADB or something similar.  If the information there
isn't as up to date as your BGP FIB, that would explain the discrepancy
you're seeing.

jms