[c-nsp] Detecting Traffic shaping

nachocheeze at gmail.com nachocheeze at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 18:37:46 EST 2006

Well, the issue doesn't necessarily have to do with your provider
shaping YOUR bandwidth.  A lot of it is going to depend on what is
happening at the remote destination and where you are trying to go, as
well as your local network.

While you might very well have an OC3's worth of bandwidth off your
GigE, it'll not matter a whit if the remote host that's serving you an
ISO image is running a capped 768Kbps upstream cable modem; that's as
fast as you are going to be able to download from him.

(Actually, it won't even be a full 768k, due to TCP overhead, but
that's irrelevant.)

The network provider of the remote host could be congested at their
egress point or shaping their traffic.

Also, the remote site themselves (not their ISP) could be implementing
traffic shaping at THEIR end based on a filtering appliance or
application or configuration (QoS of some sort perhaps, a Packeteer,
OpenBSD's altq, take your pick).

And all of the above talk only has to do with your edge router to the
remote site.  What is your local LAN infrastructure like?  What is
your user base like?  Do you have a bunch of folks with high end,
large bus speed (PCI-X / PCI-Express) Gigabit network cards connected
via Cat6 or Cat5e to huge backplane LAN hardware like Cisco 7600s,
with a 10 GigE switched backbone?

Or do you have a bunch of folks with Pentium III's with old flaky
10/100 cards running Cat 3 wiring to a bunch of shared collision hubs
at half duplex?

All of the above is going to be important before going to your
provider and accusing them of "shaping" or trying to get a full
accurate measurement of your "bandwidth".