[c-nsp] Smallest VPN/OSPF capable router

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Dec 27 11:02:44 EST 2006

> On 12/27/06, Mattias Eliasson <mattias at teknikmejeriet.se> wrote:
>
> > What we need is the cheapest (offcourse) router/firewall with 2 WAN
> > interfaces (or trunkable WAN) that has accellerated VPN and
> runs OSPF.
> >
> > 2 tunnels accellerated is enough, 20-100Mbit through put.
>
> 2801 with AES128/SHA1/GRE encapsulating large packets and no
> AIM will come in around 20mbit/s (so you can infer that 1841
> won't be quite enough), but with the AIM-VPN will bump up to
> around 40.

However, if you are planning any sort of routing or QoS or filtering,
something a bit more beefy might be wise.  If you are going up to 100mbps,
something like a 2851 or 3825 minimum, or a 3845 for some headroom.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.
pdf

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.