[c-nsp] SFP & GBIC module compatibility

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 28 16:22:58 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 01:04:17PM -0500, Dan Hopkins wrote:

>6509-core02(config)#service unsupported-transciever

As others have said, you really ought to seriously consider upgrading
that box.

>"Genuine Cisco" SFPs (that work) can be found online at about 70% or
>greater savings over Cisco on SX SFPs.

Sorry, but IMNSHO, this is very bad advice. I and many others on this
list have had extremely bad experiences with "cheap cisco" SFPs which
are in fact forgeries.

You are far better off just buying Prolabs SFPs and getting on recent
software if you want cost savings - the Cisco ones are, in my
experience, re-labelled Prolabs ones.