[c-nsp] SFP & GBIC module compatibility

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Dec 29 04:57:46 EST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> refused to warrantee a cars if you bought industry standard parts for it
> from someone other than them (at extreme markup)? How far do you think the
> sales people would get if they called your used car "grey market"? Every

This is already being done in the car market. The EU outlawed it though,
so they cannot end warranty just because you serviced the car at an
unauthorized garage.

On the other hand, a GPS map of Europe from Audi costs around $500 or so,
the same map from Tomtom (incompatible with Audi of course) costs $100.
They both come from the same map company and probably costs the same for
Adui and Tomtom. THe fact that the Audi factory unit only runs Audi GPS
navi disks enable them to have the same kind of markup that cisco has.

So this is not a problem of our industry alone. Otoh you can put a tomtom
naivgation unit into your audi, but it's harder to do the same for us.

> time someone pays Cisco $500 for a $10 GBIC, $900 for a $50 compact flash
> card, or $5000 for a $100 piece of RAM because it has a Cisco label, we
> all lose as consumers.

This has been going on for a long time, there are horroy stories about
mainframes that to do a memory upgrade on, you flipped a switch in it. The
memory was always there, you just didnt pay for it (yet). We have the same
thing with software also, same software does different things depending on
license. There it might be more justified though.

I'm still glad the vendors didnt try to get the same markup on 10GE
optics, then we would never have seen any wide adoption of that
technology. Otoh they might be trying to do the same thing MS and Sony do
with their Xbox 360 and PS3, getting the technology out the door and make
up the huge profits later.

That's also one thing that annoys me, on the highend platfors the price
per bit/s of the interface rarely goes down. We get more features for the
same price, but there is no "less features" interface at a lower price to
replace the old "less features" card. See Engine 4+ vs Engine 5 on GSR for
instance. Same with Engine 2 and 3. Also, the price of a OC192 port is
3-4 times that of an OC48 port, and this many years later. Looking at the
computer market this isn't nearly so. So perhaps we should compare
ourselves more to the Auto market instead of any other market, because the
industry seems to have quite a few things in similar...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se