[c-nsp] Routing-induced latency

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Feb 2 08:32:37 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:31:55PM +0000, christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In a campus environment I'm working on, I'm consistently being asked to
> 'reduce latency' between devices. So here's my question.
> In (usually Catalyst) hardware, should you expect to see any latency
> induced by routing? By which I mean, if all routes are present
> in the table, and you're running MLS CEF, I would expect that the
> switching is being done in hardware, and we should be introducing
> zero latency. The older kit in here is not running CEF, so will be fast
> switching, I presume, which may sitll incur processor overhead.

The forwarding latency by hardware with no congestion will be faster than
if it's switched in hardware.

> Is that assumption correct? That in the absence of a converging network,
> there should in theory be no latency induced by switching
> between two VLANs on the same switch as opposed to switching between two
> hosts on the same VLAN?

There is always a forwarding latency through a box. Extremely small but
it's there. You can never eliminate that just like you can't eliminate
propagation delay on the wire (light travels only so fast until we figure
out a way to speed it up).

The main thing most people focus on is how fast the network can reconverge
when there is a failure. It sounds like someone needs to give you
some requirements that are more clear other than "make it go faster".