[c-nsp] Re: 7206-VXR/NPE-300 memory problems

Charles Sporkman spork.sporkman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 15:58:47 EST 2006

On 2/2/06, Charles Sporkman <spork.sporkman at gmail.com> wrote:
> We take two full BGP feeds (about 170,000
> prefixes each) and either memory is just getting tight due to the
> ever-expanding route table, or I've got a nasty memory leak.
> [snip]
> Tonight, the issue crept right back up within hours.  One transit
> provider bounced their bgp session and right away I was seeing rancid
> report config lines changed again and then saw the malloc failures in
> the log.

Thanks for all the replies...  I still have a few questions.

Does my bgp memory usage (102 MB) seem proper for taking two full
views or is there something to indicate that bgp is leaking or not
properly deallocating memory?  The large jump after a provider flapped
seems fishy to me.

Also, when making changes to bgp (ie: if I went with just taking
default routes, or did more prefix filtering), is a reload required to
clear the memory bgp was using?  As I mentioned, dropping one bgp peer
from 170K routes to 16K routes freed up no memory at all.

Lastly, anyone have any feelings on 12.2(17a)?  I see the latest is
12.2(20a).  I'm not feeling the urge to jump to 12.3 or 12.4 at this
point.

Thanks,

Charles