[c-nsp] Fwd:

Mark Lewis mark at mjlnet.com
Mon Feb 6 05:07:03 EST 2006

Hi,

> What I am missing is the concept ofMark book: "RSVP signaled TE label +
> TDP/LDPsignaled IGP label).

In the book, I specify:

"If MPLS traffic engineering (TE) is being used ***between P routers*** in an MPLS VPN backbone, a label stack depth of three is used (RSVP signaled TE label + TDP/LDP signaled IGP label + VPN label)."

The important point to notice is the location of the endpoints of the TE tunnel here- as stated, it's between P routers in the example above. If the TE tunnel is between PE routers, on the other hand, then an LDP signalled label is typically not included in the  stack.

Look for a case study later in the chapter for much more on this concept (if I remember rightly there are about 5 pages dealing with MPLS L3VPN over TE tunnels between P routers).

So, key points to remember:

In the abscence of any MPLS TE tunnels, and assuming transport over an LSP between PE routers (rather than an L2TPv3/GRE/other tunnel), the label stack for VPN packets will consist of 2 labels in a simple MPLS VPN:

1. VPN label - obviously used to identify the VRF or outgoing i/f on the egress PE router.

+

2. LDP/TDP signalled IGP label used to transport the VPN packet between PE routers.

If an MPLS TE tunnel is configured between P routers then LDP must be enabled on the tunnel, and the stack now consists of:

1. VPN label

+

2. LDP signalled label.

+

3. RSVP signalled label.

But if the MPLS TE tunnel is between PE routers then the LDP label is not required in the stack (and LDP does not need enabled on the tunnel), and the stack now consists of:

1. VPN label.

2. RSVP signalled label.

If you are using fast reroute, a backup tunnel is built to protect the primary MPLS TE tunnel, and if there is a failure, the point of local failure (PLR, the headend of the backup tunnel) sends VPN packets over the backup tunnel. 2 RSVP signalled (MPLS TE) labels are now imposed on the packet, and so the stack now consists of:

If there is a protected MPLS TE tunnel between P routers-

1. VPN label, 2. LDP signalled label, 3. RSVP signalled label (corresponding to the primary tunnel [the label expected by the merge point/tailend of the backup tunnel]), 4. RSVP signalled label (corresponding to the backup tunnel).

If there is a protected MPLS TE tunnel between PE routers-

1. VPN label, 2. RSVP signalled label (corresponding to the primary tunnel [the label expected by the merge point/tailend of the backup tunnel]), 3. RSVP signalled label (corresponding to the backup tunnel).

HTH,

Mark