[c-nsp] Mpls on fastethernet <-> atm route-bridge ip link?

Sean Watkins sean at northrock.bm
Wed Feb 8 13:21:17 EST 2006

Hi,

Anyone ever setup mpls on a fastethernet <-> atm route-bridge ip link?

Ie, one side

interface FastEthernet5/0
 bandwidth 100000
 ip address X.110 255.255.255.252
 load-interval 30
 duplex full
 tag-switching mtu 1508
 tag-switching ip

.
Service providers ATM network
..

interface ATM3/0.80 point-to-point
 bandwidth 100000
 ip address X.109 255.255.255.252
 ip pim sparse-dense-mode
 atm route-bridged ip
 tag-switching mtu 1508
 pvc 80/50
  tx-ring-limit 3

TDP brings the link up, and I can see lables on both sides, but there
appears to be a MTU issue as web pages die when the switching begins.

I verified the link can do 1500 bytes, with an extended ping with DF set

Rtr#ping X.110 df-bit source atm3/0.80 size 1500

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 1500-byte ICMP Echos to X.110, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of X.109
Packet sent with the DF bit set
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 40/40/44 ms
Rtr#

Pinging anything bigger, dies:

Rtr#ping X.110 df-bit source atm3/0.80 size 1502

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 1502-byte ICMP Echos to X.110, timeout is 2 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of X.109
Packet sent with the DF bit set
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

I'm trying to verify with the service provider that they support jumbo
frames - but are there any known issues using MPLS on a link such as the
above? In testing regular fast ethernet ports, the same ping fails after
1500.

The service providers fastethernet port is attached to a Newbridge/Alcatel
36170 - anyone have any experiencing using jumbo frames on that gear?

Sean