[c-nsp] Which IOS support IPv6 !!

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Thu Feb 9 01:16:32 EST 2006

Yes unfortunately IPv6 is not in any of the basic images, you'll need to go for
Advanced Enterprise or Advanced IP Services (or IP PLUS on some platforms).
Which means $$$.

It is a little puzzling, as, having the requirement to purchase an expensive
license upgrade to even *experiment* with IPv6 is probably not doing a lot to
aid it's widespread deployment.  It does seem a bit unlikely that one would pay
extra money upfront to upgrade to one of those featuresets just to get IPv6 when
it's probably optional and of limited use right now in the real world (is there
any organisation that won't run IPv4 and insists on use of IPv6?).

One would *hope* that in time if IPv6 ever takes off, that this feature would
become part of the IPBASE or BROADBAND featuresets, like IPv4 is now.

I'd be curious to know if cisco has any plans to make this feature more
accessible in basic images in the longer term.  Rodney or Oli can you offer your
thoughts on this?

Reuben