[c-nsp] Switch Craziness and maybe STP or bad ARP's

Church, Chuck cchurch at netcogov.com
Thu Feb 9 09:34:10 EST 2006

I'm not sure about a network TAP, but this sounds like either a loop was
created, or a device was accidentally (or purposely/maliciously)
answering ARPs it shouldn't have.  The original poster said he doesn't
use any STP.  Does this mean spanning tree is turned off everywhere?  If
so, BAD idea; would have prevented this whole mess.  If the problem is
the later, port security limiting the number of MACs you can learn on an
given access port should have helped also.

Chuck Church
Network Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Netco Government Services -  Enterprise Network Engineering
1210 N. Parker Rd.
Greenville, SC 29609
Home office: 864-335-9473
Cell: 864-266-3978
cchurch at netcogov.com
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4371A48D
"I'm one Snickers Pie away from losing my foot to diabetes."  -  Homer