[c-nsp] Catalyst Switch Upgrades

Karl Clapp kclapp at gwi.net
Thu Feb 16 13:58:18 EST 2006

Hello List..

I am looking for a reasonable upgrade from the Cisco Catalyst 2924 switches
we currently use.

Primary we use the 2924's as a centralized switch in each POP, and thus
employee the 802.1Q VLAN tagging, so this is a continued requirement. We
have multiple types of equipment connecting to these switches, and even use
them for router to router connectivity (such as a media converter). The
switch must also have slots available for Gbic's as well..

I am currently looking at the following models, and was curious if anyone
had any thoughts on them and their performance in the field:

Catalyst 2950
Catalyst 2960

Any thoughts/insight would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
~karl