[c-nsp] Route-Map Question/Advice

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Feb 16 21:50:10 EST 2006

Joe Maimon wrote:

> A set of maintenance route-maps, hmmm interesting.

Yep, I don't leave home without them.  Many reasons:

1: Back in the days of having two transits, turning one off to do
maintenance means a problem on the other is catastrophic.
Depreferencing both ways on one means I can abort the maintenance and at
least have the ability to get back in.

2: I've had 'issues' where switching to a no-routes route map and
soft-out-clearing the session hasn't actually stopped my announcements.
  Switching to depreferenced announcements and then no-routes worked
better, or at least lessened the impact dramatically if the session dropped.

3: Leaving some form of direct route in the provider's routers seems to
result in much cleaner forwarding transitions, and often less dampening
on other paths.

4: Obviously, taking traffic off a link before bouncing the link means
the bit bucket sees fewer packets.  OSPF's max-metric router-lsa works
great on internal nodes that can be avoided, etc.

5: Since many folks do uRPF, I make sure to tweak the inbound route map
and converge my outbound traffic elsewhere before tweaking the outbound
route map and converging my inbound traffic elsewhere, so that my
outbound traffic doesn't die in provider's uRPF filters.  Restoring
traffic onto the link is done in the reverse, obviously.

pt