[c-nsp] What does SSL VPN Devices offer?

Brett Frankenberger rbf+cisco-nsp at panix.com
Sun Feb 19 11:41:02 EST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:42:15PM +0100, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > Now for SSL VPN appliances, what does these boxes offer opposed
> > to the solutions that has been there all the time, i mean a
> > firewall with IPSec will give me enough, wouldnt it ?
>
> The primary advantage of SSL VPN is that it's client-less.

Unless, of course, you want to do anything with it other than proxy
HTTP, in which case "client-less" really means "an activeX or Java
client gets downloaded on demand and might or might not work depending
on a whole bunch of variables."

> There's no VPN client to install, configure and keep updated
> on all the client pcs. The users can connect from just about
> any pc, anywhere in the world.

Except when it doesn't work, in which case working around the problem
ends up being much more work than just installing a traditional VPN
client in the first place.

     -- Brett