[c-nsp] Cisco 2800 performance at BRAS funcationality

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:49:50 EST 2006

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Jim McBurnett wrote:

>Recently there have been a lot of performance questions..
>
>So, I think this link is applicable:
>
>http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/

According to below URL and routerperformance.pdf document my Cisco 3640
is able to forward 50-70 kpps. Currently is forwarding 10 kpps and CPU
usage is nearly 100%. It means that specifications are different than
real life applications. My applications using PPPoE VPDN termination,
routing, OSPF and CAR rate-limit + uRPF on VirtualAccess interfaces.
Probably these functions are Process Switching... so my 10kpps is
better that 4kpps declared in the specifications (probably due to my
customers packets are 4 times bigger that 64 bytes).

But what about ISR 2811 performance in 'Process Switching'
(CAR+uRPF+PPPoE VPDN). Should I have performance like in Fast/CEF
Switching (120kpps declared in specification) ?

Robert