[c-nsp] What does SSL VPN Devices offer?

Joe Horton jhorton at juniper.net
Mon Feb 20 14:35:37 EST 2006

A few comments.

SSL VPN is probably the most misunderstood VPN available today.  Yes,
client-less VPN is a total farce.  Any vendor who tells you otherwise is
flat out lying to you.  How else do you get a fat client on a PC to utilize
a "tunnel" of some type, unless you put something on the client.

The really big benefit to SSL VPNs is the ubiquity of access.  You don't
have to have your corporate laptop to gain some level of access.  And yes,
there are always concerns about keyloggers, etc.  That is why it is critical
to pick a product which properly handles that situation.

Today, there are two basic methods of picking an SSL solution.

#1 - Simply replace an existing IPSec solution.  This is typically driven by
the issues mentioned by another poster with getting access out of their
party networks, and the growing occurrence of carriers (and especially
hotels, etc) to block everything except 53,80, and 443.  If this is the path
you want, then many of the SSL VPN products (ours included) give you the
ability to load a network adapter (or something similar) on the remote
device and you get access very similar to IPSec. In this case, you would
most definitely want to limit access to trusted devices.

#2 - Deploy an access management system which gives you the ability to
securely permit access into your network by employees, contractors,
partners, customers, etc, etc. In this case, the functionality of the device
in the area of access control granularity would be a major feature.  This
extends to the ability to take a footprint of the remote device.  You
obviously would want to limit network based connectivity from third parties
into your network, and totally network level access from untrusted entities,
such as kiosks.  So you need the ability to scan the remote device and
authenticate the user so that you grant them the appropriate level of
access.  For example.

If the user is connecting from a trusted company own asset which is running
the acceptable AV and FW, then give it a network level connection, while
firewalling that user to areas he only needs access to.

If the user is connecting from a non-trusted assess, then limit his access
to only web based apps appropriate for that access, such as webmail, and
block the users ability to transmit attachements (both download and upload),
etc.

Or any level of access in between.

Lastly, to the comment about keyloggers, that is a serious concern and
should be addressed via two-factor auth, or through the use of some type of
click-able auth interface which can not be logged.  Or through the use of
dynamically loaded keylogger/spyware/malware detection engines, or all of
the above.

Many of the solutions on the market provide these types of features (or
course I feel ours is strongest), but SSL does deserve a proper examination
by any company or person based upon their needs and requirements.

Joe

Joe Horton
Systems Engineer
Juniper Networks