[c-nsp] Frame Relay over ADSL

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Feb 21 13:24:55 EST 2006

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) <> wrote on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 7:16
PM:

> Manaf Oqlah <> wrote on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:56 AM:
>
>> Could any one help to find a solution for frame relay backup using
>> ADSL instead of ISDN.
>
> can you pls describe the requirements a bit more in detail? Maybe it
> would help us if you could tell which part of the solution you need
> help with. i.e. where you got stuck.
> Replacing floating statics on the client pointing to the ISDN-Dialer
> to point to a FR (sub)interface sounds trivial, so apparently it is
> something else.
>
> I could imagine that the routing setup on the hub site (where the FR
> circuits arrive) is more complex than with PPP sessions which go up
> when the backup is active and go down when the primary link is
> restored. FR is likely always "up"..

Oh, bummer, I totally mis-read your question.. back to the beginner's
class, Oli.

so you want to use a DSL link as backup, instead of an ISDN link?
Simple: use pppoe-client with DDR ("pppoe-client  dial-pool-number <n>
dial-on-demand") functionality, so your PPPoE dialer will only come up
when interesting traffic triggers it, just like an ISDN dialer. there
you go.

Or am I still wrong?

	oli