[c-nsp] Switching paths

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Tue Feb 21 14:34:49 EST 2006

>> Not that I doubt you, but do you know any quick links that
>> shows that in a document somewhere?  I've been fighting
>> against ACL logging for awhile now and this would be the
>> perfect ammo I'd need.

> Sorry I'm not aware of one but it's probably referenced deep
> in some doc on CCO.

Well, IP Application Services Configuration Guide > IP Access
Lists > Configuring IP Access Lists says: "If you enable CEF and
then create an access list that uses the log keyword, the packets
that match the access list are not CEF switched. They are fast
switched. Logging disables CEF." See http://tinyurl.com/r9sze

However, on the Sup720, one can do Optimized ACL Logging (i.e.
hardware support for logging). See http://tinyurl.com/bkckn,
which says: "Unless you configure OAL, packets that require
logging are processed completely in software on the MSFC3. OAL
permits or drops packets in hardware on the PFC3 and uses an
optimized routine to send information to the MSFC3 to generate
the logging messages."

-A