[c-nsp] Monitoring GUI for Cisco network

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 22 23:49:05 EST 2006

> Anyone have any leads on graphing software that can poll and graph at
> sub-5 minute intervals (preferrably sub-minute intervals...)

Depending on your needs, statseeker <http://www.statseeker.com> is
one possible solution.  We use it to monitor about 30,000 ports across
800 devices.  They get polled once per minute for in/out octets, errors,
discards, and frames.  You can't currently pick the MIB variables you want
to query (available in next major release).

It has a nice GUI that allows me to instantly pull up the top 50 ports by
%utilization, errors, frames, bits/sec.  Pretty nice for finding trouble
and dealing with capacity issues.  Probably technology that is most
appropriate in the enterprise, but we're also running an instance of it
on CalREN (California's R&E network) and it's quite useful for quickly
identifying hot spots.

It's a commercial product.  This isn't an endorsement because my employer
doesn't like me to do that kind of thing...

mb