[c-nsp] Different ISPs with load balance

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 06:53:57 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Eman Abu Al Wafa wrote:

> I have two leased lines internet links connected to 2 different ISPs. How can
> I create load-balancing between both ISPs ? I have my own C-class subnet but I
> don't have AS number.

presumably what you mean here is you have two leased lines, one provider has
assigned you a /24 and you dont say what you have from the other and you want to
have inbound and outbound balancing/redundancy

you need to speak to both providers to see what they are willing to do, the one
giving you the /24 may not permit the other to route it, either may not agree to
routing the /24 independently without changing the agreement and cost - they may
not wish to do it at all

you pretty much have to get an AS number, these are usually trivial to obtain
for a network in your position (having two providers). then you'll need to get
it routed.. you can either do this on your own equipment running bgp or
soemtimes the providers will agree to announce it from your ASN on your behalf.
the latter provides less redundancy but can help you avoid buying and
maintaining a bgp capable router

Steve