[c-nsp] Good practices for peering

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 10:19:47 EST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Danny McPherson wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Richard J. Sears wrote:
>
> > Thanks Arnold -
> >
> > I assume that if I already have those routes in my IGP via some
> > other way
> > that I can safely disregard the set-next-hop-self...?
>
> See my earlier response for some additional insight (our messages
> likely passed on the wire :-).
>
> However, in short recall that the motivations are quite different when
> applying this to iBGP peers (which Arnold mentions) versus eBGP
> peers, both of which I recommend.   A quick summary:
>
> EBGP next-hop-self configuration:
>
>   o static setting
>   o ensure NBMA connectivity

there have also been issues in the past when more specific prefixes of the
next-hop lan have entered the routing table via bgp causing traffic to head the
wrong way thro your network

eg IX uses 10.0.0.0/23 ethernet lan. anomolous 10.0.0.0/24 is received in bgp
from a peer, traffic will head towards that peer not the IX.

this also can be mitigated by filtering IX prefixes in BGP

Steve