[c-nsp] Re: Netflow traffic study

Kevin Vuong kevin at nivek.us
Wed Jan 4 15:42:34 EST 2006

Although I don't have a copy of the scripts anymore (they were
written at a previous company and their property), here's what we did.

Basically we started out by using Flowscan (http://net.doit.wisc.edu/
~plonka/FlowScan/) to gather the netflow data from our routers in 5
minute intervals.  That will give you some general graphs of the
usage patterns on your network.

 From there, we used flow-tools (http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-
tools/) to process the netflow data to look for what we wanted.  For
spam/virus type traffic, I would look at traffic pattern types along
with connection thresholds.  When someone would violate the policies
specified (say 10,000 emails in a 5 minute period from residential IP
space), I would drop them into a database.  A separate script would
update ACLs by aging old entries and inserting new violators.  If a
customer had not fixed their computers yet when their entry aged,
then it would get popped back on there next run.  Support would have
a web tool that could query this database to find if a customer
complaint was due to abuse or an actual trouble.  While this method
isn't signature based, we avoided false-positives with the thresholds
that were specified.

I also wrote a web page which was a front end for flow-tools.  It
basically generated a config file on the fly to query the flowscan
data based on whatever criteria you wanted.  For example, if a
customer called complaining about latency or something, then a tech
could fill out a web form for something like .. from src x.x.x.x/x
and pick a timeperiod (from flowscan files).  From there they would
be able to see all traffic from that IP space to see if maybe they
had some rogue computers doing a bunch of port scans or spamming.
For the form, I believe i had used src/dst ip, src/dst port, type
(tcp,udp,icmp, etc), and timeperiod.  That way people could get
relatively detailed with their reports.

-Kevin