[c-nsp] High-power 802.11b/g repeaters

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sun Jan 8 17:16:47 EST 2006

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

> I have an application where a WLAN repeater will be in a high outdoor
> location (e.g., a tethered balloon), and, as I understand, there is a
> way to make certain repeaters run higher power than is advisable
> indoors. Can anyone point me to a document on the settings and range
> assumptions (of course, the latter is antenna-dependent).

Transmitter output power is a function of the hardware, although
typically adjusted by software.  There are regulatory limits as to the
amount of transmitter power that one can run without an FCC license, as
well as regulatory limits for human exposure to electromagnetic fields.
  As a rule the human exposure limits are not going to be a concern with
low power unlicensed radios.

However, range is dependent on effective radiated power which included
transmitter output power and antenna gain as well as feedline losses.
Effective radiated power is also regulated by FCC.

Your problem will be with the antenna gain.  Antenna gain is achieved by
concentrating the beam.  A theoretical isotropic antenna radiates int a
spherical pattern.  An actual dipole radiated more in a pattern shaped
like a torus (donut).   By "squashing the donut", you can concentrate
energy at the horizon as opposed to warming the ground and sending
unwanted energy into space.

If your desired receiver is in a specific place, directional antennas
can concentrate the energy to a specific horizontal azimuth.  This also
helps reduce interference and if used at the receive side increases the
effective sensitivity of the receiver.

However, with a tethered balloon, unless it is gyro-stabilized, antenna
gain is likely to do more harm than good as the tilt and rotation of the
balloon in the wind will result in highly variable results.

Short answer, transmitter power is usually adjusted in software but may
have preset limits for regulatory compliance below what the actual
hardware is capable of producing.  Procedures for adjusting will depend
on the radio that you are using.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323  WB6RDV