[c-nsp] "local policy" HW-switched on Sup720?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Jan 8 18:15:34 EST 2006

Hi,

I have a setup with a GRE tunnel between two Cat7600 with Sup720s.

Normally, GRE is hardware-forwarded (as long as the tunnel endpoint IPs
are unique on both ends).

Now I have the requirement that the tunnel destination should be routed
differently for packets sourced from the Sup720 (read: GRE packets)
than for packets routed *through* the Sup720.

"ip local policy" can do that.

The interesting question is: if I use "ip local policy" for the tunnel
destination IP for a GRE tunnels on the Sup720 - with the GRE tunnel then
still be hardware-switched, or will it fall back to software CEF (or even
processor switching)?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de