[c-nsp] recommendations for ARP CoPP

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 11 01:42:40 EST 2006

On (2006-01-10 23:27 +0100), Gert Doering wrote:

> OTOH, as far as I can see, broadcast storm control will at least
> permit 1% of the port's bandwidth - so on a 100 Mbit port, I'll get
> 1 Mbit of (ARP) broadcasts, and on a GigE port, I'll get 10 Mbit...

 I've had same problem as you, but not with 7600's (which we mostly
use as routers with L3 ports only).  But with smaller cats, which
do support broadcast suppression with %, bps and pps quite spiffy.
 Unfortunately 3560/3750 do not support CoPP at all, which makes
the choise easy :)

 Please summarise to list what you find about protecting the box
from ARP. You may want to investigate and tune 'show mls rate-limit'.

--
  ++ytti