[c-nsp] Slightly OT: Core routers used by American (and EMEA) SP's

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 11 05:49:20 EST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:31:17AM +0100, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
> > But then, if you depend on unsampled netflow, and the amount of
> > traffic overwhelms what a Sup720 (or GSR line card) can handle, there
> > is nothing from Cisco you can buy that will give you "more netflow
> power".
>
> Hmm, I usually refrain from posting in those type of threads, but I
> don't know any other product which can collect full aggregated Netflow
> at 10 Gbps like an Engine 5 LC (2.5 Gbps for Engine 3) on the GSR.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, I stand corrected.  I wasn't aware of that - but it sounds really great.

My statement was based on the Sup720/3B, which will, as far as I understand,
do unsampled netflow at full line rate (because the MLS architecture will
have the flows anyway), but will not be able to actually export all the
flows due to CPU limitations on the MSFC.

Similar for the "software platforms" - while netflow will keep up, it
will nicely do all you need, but if the CPU is "full", you can't buy a
"PA-FLOW" that will automagically give you full flow power.  (And I do
understand that this would be very hard, if not impossible, to do on
a bus based / central CPU forwarding architecture - so this should be
taken as "this is something $J can do, and $C cannot, but don't forget
to compare actual hardware prices for a given box+interface combination").

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de