[c-nsp] Citrix and Cisco QOS

Peder at NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Wed Jan 11 17:51:03 EST 2006

First thing would be to do a "show policy int" on both ends and see what
it says.  If that all looks good, then I would guess it's a problem with
the ATM "cloud".  You may prioritize into the cloud, but that doesn't
mean that they will deliver it in order into the other end.  They could
be dropping packets or slowing stuff down.

De Houwer, Wim wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Does anyone have good tips on prioritizing citrix by using class-maps &
> policy maps ?
>
> I'm trying to make sure that the citrix traffic will always have
> priority (and guaranteed bandwith) over *all* other trafic.
>
> This is what i made:
>
> Cpe SITE1 --sdsl-- PE Router ---sdsl--- Cpe SITE2
>
> --- SNIP ---
>
> class-map match-all citrix
>   match protocol citrix
> !
> !
> policy-map queueing
>   class citrix
>     priority percent 50
>   class class-default
>    fair-queue
>
> interface ATM0
>  ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.Y
>  ip nbar protocol-discovery
>  no atm ilmi-keepalive
>  pvc 8/35
>   protocol ip z.z.z.z broadcast
>   vbr-nrt 1024 1024
>   encapsulation aal5snap
>   service-policy output queueing
>
> --- SNIP ---
>

> This config is applied both on the interfaces of the CPE (both sites) as
> on the PE router (both links to 2 sites).
>
> So what it's supposed to do is make sure that citrix classified traffic
> (using nbar) always has 50% of the total BandWidth.
>
> But when the customer starts some legacy application that transfers big
> files from one site to the other,
> the citrix session starts to act very slowly and ICMP response goes up,
> which is normal as the line is completely full and icmp is not
> prioritized.
>
> Any suggestions anyone ?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Wim