[c-nsp] Sup720 & Sup32 ingress TOS/EXP marking

Ran Liebermann ranmails at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:45:27 EST 2006

Hello everybody,

We've been trying to do TOS marking with both a Sup720-3BXL and a
Sup32 at the ingress, but with no success.

On the Sup720 machine the traffic is entering the device through a LAN
port (through a WS-X6348-RJ-45 module), and on the Sup32 through one
of the GigE's on the Sup itself.
We tried both when the ports were regular routed ports, and also when
the ports were members of a vlan and then issue the policy-map on the
interface vlan.

"mls qos" was globally enabled ofcourse, trust modes were switched on
and off, we tried both by setting precedence, experimental,
exprimental imposition, we tried to classify the data using ACLs,
using precedence matches, you name it.

For a while, and quite srange I might add, the Sup32 apparently did
some marking of the ingress traffic using the "set mpls exp
imposition" command, while classifing the traffic for marking matching
on MPLS Exp bits as well, but even then for some strange reason it
marked the packets with the wrong TOS value.  When we later changed
the classification to be done according to an ACL it kept changing all
the packets to the wrong TOS value except form the packets that were
permitted by the ACL, these were set to 0x00.

I guess that I'm just overlooking something really obvious and for
some reason I can't seem to find it.  I hope I didn't leave out any
important information about it, but if someone thinks so please ask
and I'll gladly provide additional information.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem it would be great.

Thanks,
--
Ran.