[c-nsp] traffic shaping inbound wan?

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Sat Jan 14 00:02:48 EST 2006

How many traffic shaping implementations actually smooth out bursts? The
last time I played
with the IOS shaping command on a 7206 with IOS 12.3 it didn't actually
take packets out of
the queue at the shaping rate. The shaping command would allow the 25ms
token bucket
queue to be used in 1ms if there was enough packets. The shaper would then
queue packets for another 24ms until the token bucket was refreshed.
The packets
transmitted in that 1ms burst would be dropped by an upstream ISP policer.

My guess is that the low end software based Cisco routers (2600, 3600,
7206) don't have
the high-precision hardware timers to implement a configurable transmit
rate. The sheer
number of interrupt per second to simulate a 40Mbps hardware interface
might overwhelm
the CPU as well. Maybe the only way to implement a proper traffic shaper
is in hardware.